Smart meters were developed with the main objective of ending the estimates in electricity bills, since they allow the communication of readings to the Distribution Network Operator (ORD) to be carried out remotely and automatically (called tele-counting).
In addition, they allow other changes that could be favorable for consumers, as they will have a significant impact on the management of the national electricity grid, as they allow for a more efficient management of energy production and distribution and, consequently, allowing to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide. carbon associated with electricity.
The installation of these meters is the responsibility of the ORD, a function performed in most municipalities in mainland Portugal by EDP Distribuição, under the supervision of the Energy Services Regulatory Authority (ERSE).
How do you know if you already have a smart electricity meter in your home?
Smart electricity meters have been installed all over the country, but you should be aware that, if you have not yet received an SMS from EDP Distribuição indicating that your equipment is already in operation, you should continue to communicate monthly the readings of the your accountant.
Meter without remote counting
Meter with remote counting
In the case of electricity, the ORDs must take the readings at the consumption sites with an interval between the two readings not exceeding 3 months and in the case of natural gas at 2 months.
Since it is sometimes impossible to access some meters, when for example the meter is installed inside the house or buildings, it is important to inform that if after a reading attempt it is not possible to register, it may have its supply interrupted .
According to nr. 2 of article 269 of the Commercial Relations Regulation (RRC) of 2017, published by ERSE, if an installation has been in existence for 6 consecutive months without recording a reading of electricity consumption (or for 2 months, in the case of natural gas), the ORD must perform an extraordinary reading, with payment by the customer. If it is not possible to agree with the customer and the service and after prior notification, the customer may have his supply interrupted.
What are the advantages of having this meter in your home?
- In operation, smart meters allow the communication of readings remotely and automatically to the ORD, aiming to improve the quality of all services provided;
- These meters make it possible to record readings at intervals of time (up to 15 minutes) so that by sending automatic readings it is possible for the electricity bill to be made without estimates – the consumer pays for the energy he consumes and knows exactly how much he has actually spent in the given billing period;
- If the consumer wishes to change the electricity supplier, an actual reading is sent at the time of the change to the new and outgoing supplier. It is not necessary to communicate a reading to the ORD during the change period, so it is done correctly;
- As there is access to and registration of information in small time intervals, it is possible to process consumption data and detailed information about your consumption profile, thus helping in decision making such as choosing your tariff and hour cycle, as well as assessing which equipment consumes the most energy;
- Since remote access is possible, another advantage is that it is not necessary to go to the site, it is possible to carry out a wide range of operations such as:
- Change in contracted power;
- Parameterization of tariff cycles;
- Change of ownership with real reading and without the need for scheduling;
- Equipment information;
- And, automatic service interruption and reconnection.
How can I have a smart meter in my house and how much will it cost me?
Smart meters are installed according to geographic criteria agreed by the ORD with ERSE, and there are currently a limited number of meters available to traders for installation in their customers.
- Consumers will have to wait for EDP Distribuição to receive a notice of their installation;
- After the warning, the customer schedules the replacement of the meter;
- The technician removes the last reading from the old meter and installs the new meter;
- The customer receives a communication when the meter begins to operate in telemetry.
The installation of the new meter will have no cost to the consumer since it is the property and responsibility of the ORD. Regarding this situation, the consumer will continue to pay the same price for contracted power, agreed with the electricity supplier.
For consumers who do not yet have a meter to operate remotely, we recommend that they keep communicating their readings directly and monthly to the ORD.
Why should I read my meter monthly?
Often the timing with which the readings are taken does not coincide with the billing periods, so the energy bill is based on estimates, until there is an actual meter reading, or until a reading is provided by the customer.
In this way, the consumption adjustment bill issued after this actual reading, may be high and will not correspond only to that month’s consumption.
COMMUNICATION OF READINGS
To communicate the electricity reading to the Distribution Network Operator, in the case of EDP Distribuição you can:
Call 800 507 507 free call available 24h
In the absence of communication of readings or the existence of problems in relation to certain situations, such as billing arrangements, it is important to note that traders are obliged to make payment plans available to their customers.
KNow more about energy
Lighting represents, on average, about 14% of global energy consumption in a home. It is a considerable value, so it is essential to be aware of which...