Poupar na fatura


View the most Frequently Asked Questions

Agentes de mercado
Last Resort Suppliers

Last Resort Suppliers (CUR) are licensed commercial entities responsible for supplying electricity and/or natural gas, through the application of tariffs defined by the Energy Services Regulatory Authority (ERSE).


CURs can supply electricity and/or natural gas to:

  • Final consumers with contracts, as long as the regulated tariffs or transitional tariffs legally envisaged by ERSE apply;
  • Economically vulnerable consumers;
  • Consumers whose market marketer has been prevented from exercising the activity;
  • Consumers located where there is no offer by traders of electricity or natural gas under a market regime.

See the list of electricity and natural gas CUR operating in the mainland Portugal market.


For more information of this suppliers, see Decree-Law no. 29/2006, February 15, and Decree-Law no. 172/2006, August 23, as amended by Decree-Law no. 215-A/2012 and Decree-Law no. 215-B/2012 of October 8, Decree-Law no. 30/2006, of February 15, and Decree-Law no. 140/2006, of July 26, and the Commercial Relations Regulation published by ERSE.

Energy Suppliers

The electricity and natural gas suppliers are the entities that sell electricity and/or natural gas to the final consumer, and the selling price is determined by each supplier operating in the Mainland Portugal market.

With the liberalization of electricity and natural gas market, the final consumer can choose the supplier that best suits his needs, and can change as many times as he wants, as long as this change is not simultaneous with another switching process.

Consult the list of energy suppliers operating in the domestic market of Continental Portugal.

Who is responsible for meter readings?

The Distribution Network Operator (ORD) is the entity responsible for carrying out the meter reading.

The meter reading is carried out with a maximum frequency of 3 months.

How to send your meter readings?

The consumer should send the meter readings frequently (if possible monthly) to avoid estimated billing.
In the invoices of your supplier, you should find reference to the period for sending your meter readings that depends on the billing period, so you have two options: inform the meter readings to the current supplier or directly to your distributor network operator.


In case your distributor is EDP Distribuição, you can communicate the readings in the Online form of the EDP Distribuição website, through the Line of Meter Readings 800 507 507 (free call and available 24 hours) or through the EDP Distribuição App.

Who can I contact for assistance in case of breakdowns?

The Distribution Network Operator (ORD) is required to provide all technical assistance regardless of the energy supplier with whom it has concluded its electricity contract. You can consult the information on these entities on the ERSE website.

Thus, in the event of breakdowns in most of the national territory, you can contact the ORD (EDP Distribution) through the Technical Line 800 506 506 free and available 24 hours.

I have a small electric power plant, can I change to a new energy supplier?

If you own a microgeneration photovoltaic plant, you will most likely be a customer of the Last Resort Supplier (EDP Serviço Universal, in the case of the most national territory), however you can switch to a new supplier because there is no obstacle to change.

What should I do if I want to increase my standing charge?

To increase the standing charge, you must know what the licensed power of your installation and what power required to the network for its installation when it is designed. If you do not know, you should contact your dealer or ORD to know this information.
If you want to increase to a power less than or equal to the certified installation, you should ask for this increase directly and without complications to your current marketer.

In case you want to increase to a power higher than the certified power, you should apply for certification to the new power to a competent entity and only after being certified ask the increase to your current supplier.

What is a standing charge?

The standing charge corresponds to the maximum amount of electricity your dwelling can receive. In this way, this factor will limit the number of electrical equipment that can be connected simultaneously since the sum of the powers of the connected equipment can not exceed the standing power.

You can read more about this in our standing power article.

Where can I find CPE?

CPE can be found on any electricity bill, regardless of the supplier with whom you have contracted the delivery service. Alternatively, if you do not have an invoice, you may request, that information from your electricity distributor network operator in the region to which the address of the location to be supplied belongs.
In most cases, this is EDP Distribuição, so you should contact the Technical Assistance Line 808 100 100 and indicate the serial number of the meter that is present in your electric meter.

What is CPE?

The Delivery Point Code (CPE) in its structure consists of 20 digits which is composed of 4 distinct parts:


1. Two characters corresponding to the national identification “PT”;

2. Four numeric characters representing the identifier of the Distribution Network Operator that can be:


      0001       Rede Eléctrica Nacional, S.A.

      0002       EDP Distribuição

      0003       A CELER, C.R.L. – Cooperativa Electrificação de Rebordosa

      0004       A Eléctrica Moreira de Cónegos

      0005       Casa do Povo de Valongo do Vouga

      0006       Cooperativa de Electrificação A Lord, CRL

      0007       Cooperativa Eléctrica de S. Simão de Novais, C.R.L.

      0008       Cooperativa Eléctrica de Vale d’ Este

      0009       Cooperativa Eléctrica de Vilarinho

      0010       Cooperativa Eléctrica do Loureiro, CRL

      0011       COOPRORIZ – Cooperativa de Abastecimento de Energia Eléctrica, CRL

      0012       Junta de Freguesia de Cortes de Meio


3. Twelve numeric characters of Local Identification Code;

4. Two letters of Check digit.


The Identifier Code of the Network Operator is assigned by REN, in the quality of the Transport Network.

In the same way that the Citizen Card identifies a person, CPE allows you to identify an installation regardless of its use or ownership.

Who is my current electricity supplier?

If you do not know who is your energy supplier, you should contact your distribution network operator.

If your distribution network operator is EDP Distribuição, you should use the technical support line 808 100 100, available on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

What are the mandatory taxes on an electricity bill?

The terms power and energy consumption are added mandatory taxes that are applied by suppliers through the invoices issued to their customers.
There are:

  • Exploration Fee General Direction of Energy and Geology (DGEG) – corresponds to the rate of utilization and exploitation of the electrical installations that is paid to the state. This rate has a fixed value and is defined by the DGEG;
  • Special Tax on Electricity Consumption (IEC) – is included in the subcategory of tax on oil and energy producers (ISP), created in 2012 and paid to the state. The flat rate is 0.001 per kWh of billed energy.
  • The Audiovisual Contribution (CAV) – according to Law no. 30/2003, of August 22, corresponds to the financing of the public service of broadcasting and television, being delivered by the marketers to Rádio e Televisão de Portugal SGPS, SA The monthly fixed amount is € 2.85 + VAT (6%) and should be paid 12 times a year to a consumer.
Gás Natural
Where can I find CUI?

It can be found on any gas bill, regardless of the supplier with whom you have contracted the natural gas supply service.

Alternatively, if you do not have an invoice, you can contact the gas distributor network operator in the region that owns the address of the place to be supplied (which is not your energy supplier) and request this information as identification as the holder.

What is CUI?

The Universal Installation Code (CUI) consists of 20 characters that are composed of 4 different parts:


1. Two characters corresponding to the national identification “PT”;

2. Four numeric characters representing the identifier of the Distribution Network Operator that can be:


      1601 – Portgás

      1602 – Lusitaniagás

      1603 – Beiragás

      1604 – Tagusgás

      1605 – Lisboagás

      1606 – Setgás

      1701 – Sonorgás

      1702 –  Durienegás

      1703 – Dianagás

      1704 – Paxgás

      1705 – Mediagás


3. Twelve numeric characters of Local Identification Code;

4. Two letters of Check digit.


In the same way that the Citizen Card identifies a person, it allows to identify a natural gas installation or infrastructure, regardless of its use or ownership.


If a new natural gas connection is made, it will be necessary to request a new CUI for this installation.

Who is my current natural gas supplier?

If you do not know who is your energy supplier, you should contact your distribution network operator.
You can find out the contacts of natural gas distribution network operators on the ERSE portal.

Mercados regulado e livre
Until when do I have to switch?

Until the end of 2020, is the transition period for liberalized market.

During this time, while you remaining on the regulated market, it will remain connected to its current supplier, whose price is fixed by ERSE through the transitory tariff, subject to a quarterly review.

Does switching from the regulated market to the liberalized market have costs?

The energy supplier switching process has no cost and can be done at any time.

Only the tariff will change, according to the supplier of your choice.

Changing contracts and other procedures will have no associated cost.

Is there a difference in the energy supply of the liberalized market?

No, it’s exactly the same. Switching energy supplier is only a transfer of commercial relation, so in the process of supplier change it will not change any equipment or characteristics of the installation of consumption (except if this is the intention of the consumer).

Is it necessary to sign a contract?

If you sign up by phone or through the supplier’s website, you do not have to sign a contract. After the activation date, you will receive a letter or an e-mail informing you that the contract is already in force. The letter will be accompanied by the general and particular conditions of your contract. From that moment, the consumer has a period of 14 days to cancel the given instruction and cancel the contract. It is not imperative that you return the contract if it has been signed. 14 days after the date of receipt of the conditions, and if you do not wish to cancel the contract, the delivery will be normal.

If you switch of supplier at a store, you must sign the contract.

Mudança de comercializador
How long will the new tariff take effect?

After you signing the contract, it will be submitted to a validation by the switching platform (GPMC).

It is a fast process that aims to verify technical and commercial data regarding your house. Once the process is validated, the Customer is informed of the day from which the service is active with the new supplier. From that date, you will benefits of the contracted plan.

Is it necessary to inspect the house and gas equipment when changing the supplier?

It is not necessary to carry out any inspection of the installation of equipment as long as it has an active natural gas contract and the contract holder is maintained.
In the case of buildings which do not have any contract for the supply of natural gas, it is always necessary to carry out an inspection of the gas installation and equipment.

How is the switching process?

After signing the new contract, the new supplier requests the change in the switching platform (GPMC), within approximately 5 working days.

The supplier switching process will take approximately 15 days, for the beginning of the term of your contract with the new supplier.

At that moment a reading of your electric meter is sent by the Distribution Network Operator, through the GPMC, used by the former supplier to record the resolved agreement and issue the last invoice. This is also used by the new supplier to start the new contract.

Within 60 days, you will receive the first invoice from your new energy supplier. In the case of a dual service (electricity and natural gas) this term may extend up to 75 days.

Does my contract have exit fee?

When you switch to a new tariff, you are entering into a contract with a supplier with specific clauses according to the intended service. In most situations of energy supply in normal low voltage (common for domestic consumers), the contracts do not have loyalty period.

However, if a loyalty period is foreseen in your current contract and if you want to switch to a new supplier, you will have to compensate your current supplier to resolve the agreement.

Loyalty is usually associated with the provision of additional services, and the associated costs must be well defined in the contract. If you can not find your contract, check that you have the standard contract form, always available from the suppliers, where is all the information regarding to the tariff.

How much does the change of energy supplier cost?

The switching of energy supplier does not have any costs for the consumer.

The new supplier will apply for the switching, being a free process for all consumers.

How many times can I change the energy supplier?

There is no limit on the number of times you can change energy supplier. It should only take into account the possibility of existing in its current supply agreement a payment clause of possible penalty for ending of the contract, e.g., there are some energy suppliers who may demand payment of compensation for the energy that they planned to provide during the contract of 12 months.

How do I select my equipment usage profile?

ECO/MODERATE – It considers that the user will turn on the dishwashers, clothes and/or dryers, at the most economical hours and use the equipment in a more efficient way.

COMMON USE – Consider a typical use of the equipment, distributing the consumption of the equipment at the most economical hours.

INTENSIVE USE – It considers that the user has a use of the equipment more than expected and does not worry about turning on the equipment at the most economical hours.

DO NOT KNOW – Consider a moderate use of equipment within the hours you are in the room.

How are the simulation results sorted?

The results of the simulation are always presented in descending order, starting with the most economical annual energy saving tariff.

However, this result may imply the obligation to send an electronic invoice and/or payment via direct debit, so you should always check the contractual conditions proposed by each supplier in the results area.

Why can I use the “Filter Results” option?

The “Filter Results” option is intended to allow the user to view only the results according to the previously chosen options. In order to use this option, you must select the available options and then the option “Filter results”.