The oven is one of the equipment with the greatest presence in Portuguese kitchens. According to the Survey on Energy Consumption in the Domestic Sector 2010 (“ICESD 2010”) conducted by the General Directorate of Energy and Geology, there is an oven in 65.5% of Portuguese households. Being one of the equipment used to prepare meals, its energy efficiency is of the utmost importance.
HOW TO REDUCE CONSUMPTION ASSOCIATED WITH THE GAS OVEN?
When purchasing an oven, it is important to take into account the energy efficiency class: gas ovens are more efficient than electric ovens and, although gas is a fossil energy source, its consumption does not produce ash or solid waste.
Gas ovens are often composed of other electrical equipment (“grills”, fans, among others) that allow for other features, but that involve high consumption, so their use must be properly controlled.
If you are considering changing your equipment and purchasing a gas oven, you should consider the following points:
- When the oven is switched on, it is able to adjust the flame to the ideal value, enabling faster cooking of food;
- In the event of a power failure, you will be able to continue using the oven;
- Gas equipment, despite all the rules in force, represents an increased risk (for example, gas leakage) so, when in operation, it must be monitored periodically and its maintenance must be carried out with the periodicity, established in the manual of instructions;
- Unlike the electric oven, which has two resistances (lower and upper), the gas oven has only one heat source in the lower zone, promoting a non-uniform temperature distribution;
- Cleaning a gas oven is more complex than cleaning an electric one, as it requires extra care in the area of the gas plate.
Um forno a gás de tamanho médio e classe energética D, devido à sua baixa eficiência, apresenta um consumo anual de 876 kWh, representando um custo de 112€/ano.
Um forno a gás natural com características semelhantes, de classe energética A+, representa um investimento a partir de 300€ e um custo de 32€/ano.
Ao substituir o seu forno antigo por um com classe energética A+, poderá obter reduções nos custos de gás natural na ordem dos 80€/ano.